Mediterranean Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
Ready in 55 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis, sliced in rounds
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed with skins on
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can of organic tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas (or ½ cup boiled chickpeas)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup vegetable stock (optional)
- Optional: 1½ cups butternut squash, cubed (or ½ a medium butternut squash)
- Pre-cook chickpeas in pressure cooker until tender with a bit of turmeric.
- Preheat your oven to 220 C.
- Toss your prepped veggies in a large roasting pan with the coconut oil, some sea salt, black pepper and dried herbs of choice.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are soft and fragrant – keep in mind you don’t want them too overcooked as they will get a chance to cook some more on the stove.
- Once done, add your tomato sauce, roasted vegetables, and chickpeas to a large pot on medium heat.
- Season as needed with additional herbs and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. If you prefer a more liquid-y stew, add in the vegetable stock and stir through.
- Serve on a bed of baby spinach with some brown rice or quinoa or cauliflower rice (or both!) on the side.
Enjoy with a bit of extra herbs on top!
Reference: One Arab Vegan