Vegetarian Filipino Laing (Dried Taro Leaves in Coconut)
Ready in 35 minutes
Serves 4+ people
- 30 grams dried taro leaves (large pack)
- 1 big yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup ginger thinly sliced
- 3 packs 200ml coconut milk/cream
- 1 green long chili, seeds removed
- 1tsp. sea salt
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 red chili (optional)
- In a large pot combine 2 packs of coconut milk/cream with 600ml water, onion, garlic, ginger and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and vegetable stock cubes and let boil for 10 mins. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add dried taro leaves. Do not stir.
- Let the leaves absorb the liquid cover and cook for 15mins over low heat.
- Once the leaves absorb most of the liquid stir gently to make sure all the leaves have absorbed the liquid.
- Add 1 pack coconut milk/cream into the pot and stir gently and taste. You can add red chili at this point if you’d like to add some spice to it.
- Leave cooking on low heat for another 10mins. Let it boil over slow fire.
- Transfer to a serving plate, decorate with chili and serve with rice.
It goes really well with red rice and can also be enjoyed with grilled fish or other Filipino dishes.
- Erna Sambajon, our dearest co-creator and support