Ready in 15 minutes
Serves 16 people
- 2 cups packed fresh basil (large stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds (or pine nuts or walnuts)
- 2-3 large cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-6 Tbsp water (plus more as needed)
- To a food processor or small blender, add the basil, seeds/nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
- Add olive oil a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water at a time until the desired consistency is reached – a thick but pourable sauce. (If avoiding oil altogether, sub the oil with vegetable broth or just use all water.)
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt for overall flavor, seeds/nuts for nuttiness, garlic for bite / zing, or lemon juice for acidity.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze, and store up to 1 month or more.
Perfect for adding to pasta, zucchini noodles, pizza, breads, and more!